The Pulse: Aug. 15, 2025

Here's what you need to know about Edmonton today.

Sponsored by:

Want this in your inbox? Sign up to get The Pulse by email. It's free!


Essentials

  • 17°C: Mainly cloudy with 30% chance of showers. Wind becoming southeast 20 km/h gusting to 40 near noon. High 17. UV index 5 or moderate. (forecast)
  • Yellow/Red/White/Blue: The High Level Bridge will be lit yellow, red, white, and blue for National Acadian Day. (details)
  • 95-103: The Edmonton Stingers lost to the Calgary Surge on Aug. 14 for the CEBL's Western Conference Play-in game. (details)
  • 7pm: The Edmonton Elks play the Toronto Argonauts at Commonwealth Stadium. (details)

A list of contributions from a Taproot reader pictured at a listening event. Much of the feedback is about public transit.

Voters told Taproot they want campaign contributions disclosed before the election


By Colin Gallant

The growing responses to Taproot's listening work with voters in the lead up to the 2025 municipal election in October reveal that many want to know more about who gives mayoral and council candidates their campaign money.

Earlier this year, Taproot launched our listening campaign at several in-person and virtual events, as well as a 2025 election question on our site. We have been gathering responses ever since, and at last count more than 800 people have provided them. The listening was built around a simple question: "What issues do you care about as you consider who to vote for in the 2025 municipal election, and why?"

At least six respondents we heard from doing this work told Taproot that they want to know where candidates get their campaign money from before they mark their ballot.

"Are you prepared to publicly disclose precisely how much money you have raised in campaign donations, and from who specifically, both individuals and companies this money came from and how much each gave you?" one person asked of candidates.

"I want donation transparency BEFORE we vote," another said.

A third person said they want "no political parties or corporate donations" in Edmonton's election. Two other people said they want to know what influence donors wield with candidates and to see all donations disclosed before election day.

Another said they want to see an end to "imbalances in campaign (spending) and contributions."

Taproot has worked to explain some of the intricacies of the finance rules that govern the 2025 election, as well as changes that have been made in advance of the vote. We learned that there is more money available to partied candidates than there is for independents, how penalties for financially delinquent candidates have changed, and how candidates must disclose their donations and spending differently than in 2021.

Continue reading

Headlines: Aug. 15, 2025


By Mariam Ibrahim

  • Edmonton city council's executive committee recommended a new student housing incentive program, aiming to create 500 affordable units over more than four years in the city's core, especially near MacEwan University and NorQuest College. This first-of-its-kind Canadian initiative offers eligible developers up to $30,000 per new unit using federal funds. The program addresses a severe housing shortage for Edmonton's rapidly growing student population. While encouraging, concerns persist about the units' affordability. The plan still needs final approval from city council.
  • Edmonton's emergency services are urging drivers to take caution by following "look, move, and stop" protocols when encountering emergency vehicles. This plea from the Edmonton Police Service, EMS, and the Alberta Motor Association, follows numerous close calls for first responders and tow truck operators. Drivers should exercise extra caution on major Edmonton roads like the QEII, Whitemud Drive, and Yellowhead Trail.
  • Alberta Innovates will end its accelerator programming with Plug and Play Alberta and 500 Ecosystems in November 2025. This decision concludes the Scaleup Growth and Accelerator Program pilot, as Alberta Innovates shifts its focus to new scaleup and growth programming designed to support companies across Alberta.
  • The Women's Advisory Voice of Edmonton (WAVE) is raising the alarm about harassment and discrimination faced by municipal election candidates. "We strongly oppose and condemn violence in all its forms," the group said, adding it has received reports of discrimination both online and on the campaign trail.
  • Some downtown Edmonton business owners are criticizing city plans to implement a dedicated transit lane on 101 Street by the end of 2025. They argue that removing street parking during weekday daytime hours will severely impact their businesses, citing a lack of public parking. While supporting rush hour restrictions, they feel their broader concerns are unheard. Coun. Anne Stevenson said the project will undergo a six-month review, and the City of Edmonton has adjusted parking on 108 Avenue and changed the transit lane's operational hours to end at 6pm.
  • Edmonton Police Service Const. Mohamed Elgendy was charged with assault on Aug. 14, following a 2024 traffic stop where a 52-year-old man sustained minor injuries during a physical struggle. A police service Professional Standards Branch investigation and a recommendation from the Alberta Crown Prosecution Service led to the charges. Elgendy, who has under three years of service, has been placed in a non-operational role.
  • The Health Sciences Association of Alberta (HSAA) and the Alberta government reached a tentative new labour deal on Aug. 14, following 1.5 years of bargaining. The agreement, covering more than 22,000 health professionals including paramedics and social workers, features a 12% base wage increase and market adjustments for approximately 19% of members.
  • A team is shepherding young peregrine falcons that are born on Edmonton rooftops to help them survive in the Alberta wild. This initiative aims to transition the urban-born birds into a natural habitat.
  • Court of King's Bench Justice Colin Feasby ruled that he will proceed with a review of the constitutional validity of a proposed Alberta referendum question on separating from Canada. The question, submitted by Mitch Sylvestre of the Alberta Prosperity Project, was referred by Chief Electoral Officer Gordon McClure. Feasby rejected arguments to quash the referral, emphasizing the importance of judicial scrutiny for democracy. The next hearing in Edmonton is set for November, with a ruling expected by the end of 2025.
  • The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is reiterating its criticism of a ministerial order by Alberta's Minister of Education and Childcare, for a ban on books with "explicit sexual content" and the restriction of books with "non-explicit sexual content" in school libraries for students below Grade 10. The association called the order censorship, arguing it could ban classics like 1984. The minister said the association mischaracterized the order, but in an Aug. 14 letter it argued that sweeping bans hinder critical thinking and access to diverse ideas for students across Alberta.
  • The Alberta Next panel, led by Premier Danielle Smith and 15 others, returned to Edmonton on Aug. 14 for its third summer town hall. The panel is collecting public feedback on Alberta's grievances with Ottawa and is brainstorming potential referendum questions, including withdrawing from the Canada Pension Plan and establishing a provincial police force. Previous events in Red Deer and Edmonton generated mixed reactions. The panel also faced criticism for initially biased online survey questions.
Permalink
[A photograph of people on a roller-coaster. The caption explains it is the first ride of the Mindbender since an accident that killed three people.

A moment in history: Aug. 15, 1987


By Scott Lilwall

On this day in 1987, West Edmonton Mall's infamous roller-coaster reopened roughly one year after a deadly malfunction.

The Mindbender coaster opened in 1985 as part of an expansion of WEM's Fantasyland amusement park, aimed at appealing to more adult crowds. The $6-million attraction was created by Werner Stengel and Anton Schwarzkopf, two of the most influential and celebrated designers in all of coasterdom. With just shy of 1,300 metres of track and reaching a maximum height of 44 metres, the Mindbender was the tallest indoor roller-coaster in the world when it opened, and it would keep that distinction for the next 30 years.

It was also an intense ride. Loops were a trademark of Stengel and Schwarzkopf's designs, and the Mindbender sent riders through three loop-de-loops during its short runs, reaching speeds of up to 95 km/h. That wild ride, in such a compact space, soon gave it a reputation among roller-coaster enthusiasts.

But in less than a year, the reputation turned to notoriety. On June 14, 1986, one of the Mindbender's cars derailed just as the coaster was entering the third and final loop of the track. At the time, the only safety restraints on the coaster were bars across the laps of riders to hold them in. When the car was damaged, the restraints opened, and four people were thrown from the ride. Three were killed, and the fourth was critically injured. Others received minor injuries.

The tragedy is still considered one of the worst roller-coaster disasters in history. An investigation into the accident later determined that the wheel assembly of the car had come apart, likely due to a combination of flawed design and inadequate maintenance. The ride was shut down for seven months as changes were made to the cars. Several new safety features were installed, including additional restraints. The incident also led to several recommendations to change the way Alberta inspected amusement rides.

Following the accident, the Mindbender went on to operate for another 33 years and became one of the mall's most iconic attractions. It also continued to be a favourite among coaster enthusiasts, for the intensity of the ride and the high G-force, tested to top out at up to 5.4G, putting it on par with the forces experienced in a fighter jet.

The ride began to decline in popularity in the 2000s and beyond. It was closed to the public in 2020, with the ride officially shut down three years later. The ride was dismantled, and for now, the space where the Mindbender used to be still remains empty. Last month, WEM officials said they were still in the process of planning a new ride for where the famous coaster once stood, but have not released specific details. The mall and its indoor amusement park (now named Galaxyland) were also recently featured in a discussion about urbanism by the YouTuber CityNerd, following his visit to Edmonton earlier this summer.

This clipping was found on Vintage Edmonton, a daily look at Edmonton's history from armchair archivist Rev Recluse of Vintage Edmonton.

Permalink
A title card that reads Taproot Edmonton Calendar: edmonton.taproot.events

Happenings: Aug. 15, 2025


By Ben Roth

Here are some events happening this weekend in the Edmonton area.

And here are some upcoming events to keep in mind:

Visit the beta version of the Taproot Edmonton Calendar for many more events in the Edmonton region.

Permalink