- Former Edmonton city councillor Michael Walters launched his campaign for mayor on July 21. Walters, who served on city council from 2013 to 2021, said he aims to improve basic city services without raising taxes, address homelessness, improve downtown safety, and strengthen the City of Edmonton's relationship with the province. Other candidates for mayor include current councillors Andrew Knack and Tim Cartmell, and former councillor Tony Caterina.
- The City of Edmonton is launching the Beyond Belonging Grant, offering $750,000 in one-time community grants to support initiatives that create safer, more inclusive spaces for 2SLGBTQIA+ residents. Individual projects can receive between $10,000 and $100,000, and must be completed within one year. Non-profit organizations based in Edmonton can apply until Sept. 10.
- Following The Weeknd concert at Commonwealth Stadium on July 19, some attendees described a "chaotic" experience leaving the venue, with approximately 54,000 people trying to navigate crowded streets and public transit. Despite the challenges, the Edmonton Police Service reported only eight minor incidents. Some concertgoers suggested increasing the frequency of trains and better signage. The City said that the stadium was cleared within 55 minutes and that only one LRT track was open due to construction.
- The City of Edmonton said it is exceeding expectations for increasing the housing supply under its Housing Accelerator Fund agreement with the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. As of June 30, the City is 75% of the way to meeting its overall housing supply target by November 2026. Edmonton was also one of 27 "top-performing" communities to receive additional accelerator funds earlier in the year and will now receive an additional $17 million for an additional 500 units, bringing the total allocation to $192 million.
- An Edmonton man will attempt the longest ferris wheel ride at KDays, spending 54 hours on the ride to raise money for Alberta Dreams, an organization that grants wishes to sick children.
- A year after the Jasper wildfire, the town is open for business and focused on recovery. A report reviewing the wildfire recommends clarifying expectations among the municipal, provincial, and federal governments, to improve future responses. The report, released by the Municipality of Jasper, highlights jurisdictional complexities and political challenges that diverted focus from directing the wildfire response and re-entry efforts. The fire destroyed 358 structures, about one-third of the town, and resulted in $1.2 billion in insured damage and the death of firefighter Morgan Kitchen.
- Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is demanding that the town of Jasper apologize and retract a report that is critical of the province's handling of last summer's wildfire. Smith also blamed the federal government for its fire response. The report, commissioned by the municipality, surveyed firefighters and front-line staff and says the province complicated the response by requesting information and attempting to make decisions despite not having jurisdiction. Smith says the report overlooks Alberta's contributions, including $181 million in disaster recovery funding and evacuation payments.
- The Insurance Bureau of Canada is urging the federal government to lead national discussions with provinces on disaster recovery management, citing delays in rebuilding Jasper, Alberta, a year after a wildfire destroyed about a third of the town, causing an estimated $1.2 billion in insured damage. Only 56 of 358 buildings have been issued rebuilding permits thus far, the IBC said, warning that some Jasper residents could run out of additional living expenses coverage, and businesses could exhaust business interruption coverage.
- The Alberta government is seeking formal proposals to repurpose the old Royal Alberta Museum site in Edmonton. Interested parties can submit proposals until Sept. 26. The government says Albertans have a strong connection to the building, and that this is an effort to explore all options for the site.
- Political commentator Dave Cournoyer marked 20 years of Daveberta, his blog chronicling Alberta's political upheavals since 2005. Starting as a student, he's covered leadership races, party mergers, and historic elections while evolving into newsletters and a podcast. He recalls being present for key moments like Danielle Smith's Wildrose defection and Rachel Notley's 2015 win.
- The First Nations Health Consortium, the University of Alberta, and the University of Calgary signed a memorandum of relational understanding at Bison Lodge in Edmonton on July 21 to address health disparities by centering Indigenous knowledge and Treaty rights. Named the Amisk Agreement, the agreement establishes a community-led health research collaboration, affirming the right of Treaty First Nations to direct research affecting them.
- To extend Connor McDavid's contention window, the Edmonton Oilers must improve in several key areas. According to The Athletic, cap management is a concern as seen in the offer sheets for Philip Broberg and Dylan Holloway, and the Evan Bouchard extension. The Oilers are looking to improve their pipeline by acquiring prospects like Matt Savoie and Ike Howard. Finding a stronger goaltending partner for Stuart Skinner and improving in-game tactics, such as breakout strategies, are also crucial, it reported.
Headlines: July 22, 2025
By Mariam Ibrahim